Sunday, May 31, 2009

Introducing "The Fig Tree Club at DCQ"








Good morning.

I woke early today, and experienced a symphony of my senses. Warm rays of sunshine streamed through the open window. The sound of birds singing filled the air. I could smell freshly mowed green grass, clean linens, and spring flowers. The automatic coffee maker clicked on, and soon the aroma of fresh brewed dark roast filled our home. I felt the warmth of one of my favorite quilts, and snuggled a little deeper, thinking of the day ahead.

I reflected about the topic of this essay, as I usually "write in my head" before I sit down at the computer. Today, we're introducing the new "Fig Tree Club at DCQ", featuring fabrics and sewing projects designed by Joanna Figueroa (Fig Tree & Co). I realized that my early morning symphony perfectly reflected the "Fresh Vintage" style of Joanna's designs.

As strange as it may sound, fabric speaks to me. Sometimes is whispers, sometimes it sings, sometimes it shouts. For me, the "Fig Tree" fabric collections and the quilts created with them result in a beautiful concerto of color, light, texture, and beauty. They remind me sunshine, music, flowers, green grass, fresh air, crisp spring mornings, and a tall glass of creamy iced coffee with a fresh-baked sugar cookie.

Joanna's signature colors include cream, berry, pear, pink, butterscotch, and taupe. Her design style, "Fresh Vintage", combines the traditional with the new. Her designs are feminine but not "frilly". In addition to designing beautiful quilts, she creates patterns for unique garments, bags, and useful accessories.

As I stood outside her booth at Quilt Market (photo above), her fabrics spoke to me. Softly, gently, they beckoned me to come in. So inviting, so fresh, so pretty... a perfect composition of everything I love about the art of quilting.

In the months to come, "Fig Tree & Co" fabrics & patterns will have a growing presence at our shop. And, today, we're launching the "Fig Tree Club at DCQ!"


Click here to learn more, and to reserve your slot. Although the first project will begin this fall (Sept/Oct 2009), as of today, we're open for membership. Because this is a new program created for quilt shops by Fig Tree Co, a limited number of spots are available. It doesn't matter if you are an "in-store" or "online" member... everyone is welcome. Working with Joanna, we’ll be offering fun, “Fig Tree Style” projects ranging from simple lap quilts to easy bags to straightforward home decor projects like pillows table runners and aprons. The projects will be based around Moda precuts from her latest fabric collections. When the fabrics arrive in our shop, we’ll prepare an exclusive kit for each club member, and these will not be available for sale to non-club members. Over the first year, we'll feature four projects. Members will also be treated to special coupons and other fun and informative events.





The "Fig Tree Club at DCQ" will begin with a project featuring Joanna's next fabric collection for Moda, "Mill House Inn". But, if you can't wait unti then for a "Fig Tree fabric fix", check out the current collection "Patisserie" by clicking here. I had the best of intentions to make every quilt in "The Pastry Shop" book. So far, I've only finished one. "Apricot Morning Bars" is ready to go to the quilter, and I'd like to piece "French Vanilla Rounds" next.



We've all been "burning the candle" at both ends this past week, preparing for the Rapid City Quilt Show June 5-7th. With Rose's help, I actually finished a bunch of little projects: pillows, pincushions, bags, and more. We've been working with the new patterns & fabrics we found at Quilt Market. Click here too see just some of the new arrivals. So far, my favorites are the pillows I made with the Vanilla House pattern "It's A Wrap". I also used their pattern "Laptop Satchel" to make handy bag for my laptop. Both patterns were great! Easy to follow instructions, great diagrams, and clever designs.




Happy Quilting! ~ Laura, Wesley & the Staff at Dakota Cabin Quilts

No comments:

Post a Comment