Sunday, September 20, 2009

We Got a Lot Done! ~ “Girls Weekend” 2009


These photos & descriptions show many (but not all) of the projects we worked on during our retreat at the Double Diamond B&B near Hill City.  I think you’ll agree we were pretty darn productive… but we also took time to nap, relax, visit, and eat a lot of really tasty food!

Denae worked on a bunch of different quilts, including “Due South”  (pattern by Miss Rosie, fabrics “Twiggy” by Sanae for Moda.  I think she would have finished it, but she decided to make her version bigger.

Click here for pattern, kit, and available fabrics.


Dode finished all her blocks for the “Up North” quilt top. She enlarged the quilt, making extra blocks. She didn’t sew her blocks together, because she wanted to lay them out on the bed at home first to see how they’d look.

We don’t have any “Up North” kits left, but the pattern can be found in the book “Venture North” by Gathering Friends (click here).


Barb worked on so many things I lost track of her.  She made a number of wine bags using a pattern from the book “Let’s Do Lunch” by Atkinson designs.  I forgot to get a picture of them, but she used a variety of golf prints and they turned out really great!

Click here for one of Barb’s wine tote using fabric from the Vineyard collection.



Kathleen started by making a quilt top for charity, and used a “Merry & Bright” jelly roll and the cover pattern from the book “On a Roll” by Anka’s Treasures.

Click here for the pattern book and here for “Merry & Bright”.

7kathleenchristmasraffle  onarollak








Kathleen cleverly framed the embroidery from her Grandmother’s dish towels with thirties reproduction prints. Her Grandmother gave her these towels as a present at her wedding shower. She used the Eleanor Burns flying goose ruler to make the geese for her quilt.  She used left-over white fabric from the dishtowels as the background for her prints, and the effect was exquisite.

8kathleenchick 9kathleencluckcup

Kathleen bought these redwork squares on e-bay a while ago, and wanted to transform them into a quilt.  She had too many squares, and not enough red & white prints, so she and Laurie-Ann arranged a trade.


Cindy worked on a whole bunch of things too, and finished these quilt tops:


I think she used a Gathering Friends pattern for her bear-paw, but she changed the pattern a number of times to suit her taste… and because she was running short of fabric!

The attic window quilt pattern is an original design by Rose. We are sold out of kits, but could still come up with a pattern if anyone is interested.  Click here for current selection of Thomas Kinkade.



Laurie-Ann kept busy finishing UFO’s.

She used a pattern by Thimble blossoms called “Wallflower” and prints from the Urban Couture collection to make this great monogrammed throw. Click here for pattern and here for fabrics.


She made a sweet little quilt using a butterfly fling charm pack, and finished quilting and binding it.


She quilted a Bistro wall-hanging, but didn’t have the right fabric for the binding.  Click here for remaining Bistro fabrics… sorry, no pattern, she just “made it up as she went along”.


She finished paper-piecing this exquisite table-topper using the “Seasonal Table Runners” pattern by Judy Niemeyer.  This photo does not do the project justice.  Patterns can be found here, and I’ll be posting a better photo on the website, along with fabric kits for the project.


I hand-stitched this wool pincushion using the pattern “Pretty Posies” by This & That.  Click here for the pattern.  Kits are also available, but not on the website yet.  E-mail if you’d like one.


I made Tuffets for everybody, using their scrap fabrics.  Click here for the “Tuffets” pattern by Miss Rosie.


I hand-pieced a nine-block “Mountain Patchwork Log Cabin” miniature quilt.  Click here for Mountain Patchwork patterns & accessories.


Last, but not least, I did some “speed sewing”, quickly piecing the “Pumpkin Party” table-topper, using a pattern from This & That.  I really wanted to finish it in time for the show.

Click here for the pattern.  I used “Gobble Gobble” fabrics… click here.  We did have kits for this at the Hill City & Huron shows, but Wesley tells me they sold out.  I think we can cut more, e-mail us at if you’d like us to save you one.


Whew… Makes me tired just looking at all this work!  But, we all agreed that we’re going back next year.  We might just stay an extra day!