Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine’s Day!

g2185strawberry175

Good Morning.

Happy Valentine's Day!


I watched the 2010 Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony with a deep sense of National pride on Friday night. My Canadian heritage is an integral part of who I am, but I have lived in the USA for long enough now that I often view things from an American perspective.


But, watching the opening ceremony brought a rush of "Canadian" emotions to mind... pride, hope, joy, courage, and appreciation of my country's cultural diversity. I thought the entire program was beautiful, and especially enjoyed the Sarah McLachlan's performance of "One Dream".


Click here to view the video for this hauntingly beautiful song.


I also loved the inclusion of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now", and K.D. Lang's "Hallelujah". Both of these artists are from my home province of Alberta. Amazing.


Click here for NBC's "musical recap of the opening ceremonies".


I can hardly wait for the figure skating competition to start, but enjoy watching the other events too. It's fun for Matthew to see ski jumping, snowboarding, and skiing competitions, as he loves to play these on the Wii Fit, and gets a sense of what the sports are like in competition by watching the Olympic events.

~~~

"A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay -
Love isn’t love,
'Til you give it away."

~Oscar Hammerstein, Sound of Music, "You Are Sixteen (Reprise)"

No comments:

Post a Comment