Sunday, March 7, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
                                                                                                                            I simply remember my favorite things
                                                                                                                          And then I don't feel so bad"

                                                                                                                  ~ Rodgers & Hammerstein, The Sound of Music, 1959


Click here for a You Tube compilation of beautiful photos set to this classic song, created by beth8896.

This topic occurred to me as I snuggled under one of my favorite quilts this morning, and smelled the aroma of fresh brewed coffee, as the coffee maker's timer clicked on. Since our two week absence from home during the power outage, I've become acutely aware of the comforts of home... I guess "absence makes the heart grow fonder."
So, in no particular order, here are a few of my favorite things:


tagsaleabbie2

1.) My "Tag Sale Quilt". I made this from a Miss Rosie pattern in 2004, adding a few scraps of chenille to the nine patches. Thus began my "love affair" with Miss Rosie's patterns, Three Sisters fabrics, and scrappy quilt. But, to me, it's more than a pretty quilt. When we were done with it at the shop, it hung in the mammogram room at the hospital for about a year, giving countless women a bit of comfort during an otherwise stressful experience. Now at home, it is the first quilt I reach for when I need a "pick me up"... it's been washed numerous times, and is aging gracefully. As we tuck away the Christmas quilts until next year, "Tag Sale" holds the promise of spring.

pr_spa_wisdom_africa_salt_scrub_rpk 
2.) The Body Shop: founded by Dame Anita Roddick (1942-2007) over 30 years ago. On the surface, a cosmetics company with an emphasis on natural ingredients. But dig a little deeper, and you'll find an organization committed to social and environmental responsibility. Their community trade program "creates sustainable trading relationships with disadvantaged communities around the world and provides essential income to more than 25,000 people across the globe". The company also runs a "Stop Violence in the Home" program against domestic violence, and a "Staying Alive Foundation" to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS. Click here to learn more.
My favorite Body Shop products include: Satsuma Shower Gel, Mango Body Butter, and the entire "Spa Wisdom" group.

3. Aurifil Thread. I suppose it is overly dramatic to claim that "this thread has changed my life." So, I'll just say that Aurifil thread is the nicest, smoothest, cleanest and best quality Egyptian cotton thread that I am aware of. One problem.... I am so spoiled by using this thread that I don't like to use anything else, and I've gradually given away all of my non-Aurifil thread. But, my quilting friends who have been converted to Aurifil won't take it! They are trying to get rid of their old thread too.

File:Latte art.jpg
4.) Good coffee. (Image credit: Wikipedia) Hot in the winter. Cold in the summer. I recently invested in a new Capresso "Grind & Brew" machine, and I love it! Both Laurie-Ann & I also love our Nespresso espresso makers (these machines use espresso pods, so there's essentially no mess), and we've perfected the art of making iced cappuccino. Since I'm the only coffee drinker in our house, these indulgences seem a little over the top. But, at this point, there's no going back. I'm hooked.


Who\

5.) My family. My friends. My pets. No explanation necessary:)
Take some time today to enjoy a few of your favorite things. Don't think of it as self-indulgence. Every gift you give yourself will be transformed with abundance into inner strength that you will share with others.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am really enjoying your newsletter and sent it to relatives and friends. Keep up the great job. It's so nice to connect with people from all over the world.
    Aletha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Aurifil is becoming one of my favorite things as well... and how I LOVE that song!

    PS.. found you from Alex's FB page... going to make a cup of tea and browse a little :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your love of Aurifil thread. It's just the best.

    ReplyDelete