Saturday, August 28, 2010, 9:00 AM
Moreau River Sanctuary. Website includes map & travel directions.
Classes: Cut & Shuffle, Knot by the Sea by Wendy Martin , Twister, Tree Table Runner, Zippers Are No Big Deal by Laura, and Sew on Your Own Project
Class Fee: $25.00 Adults, $10.00 Youth- plus pattern or book- delicious homemade lunch included.
Quilt Display at 2:30 PM- $3.00 if not attending classes- refreshments provided.
For more information, call Virginia Till, Eldora Fischbach, or Amy Linn. Dakota Cabin Quilts (701-567-4772) can provide you with their phone numbers, if needed. We also have a class supply list for all classes.
Here’s Laura’s Class Information:
Zippers Are No Big Deal!
~~~~~~~Cash & Carry ~~~~ ~~~~~~~Zippy Strippy ~~~~~ Atkinson Design Zippers~
Zippers are no big deal! Using an easy technique developed by Terry Atkinson, stitchers will make at least one small “Cash & Carry” pouch and one larger “Zippy Strippy” bag. It’s a fun & easy class for sewers of all levels. Express your creativity!
- Each student will need to purchase a copy of both patterns: “Cash & Carry”, and “Zippy Strippy”. We’ll bring plenty of patterns with us to class. Cost $8.00 per pattern.
- If you have scraps of fusible fleece, bring them along. Otherwise, we’ll bring plenty of Pellon 987F, a lighter weight fusible fleece. Cost $7.50 per yard.
- Flexible plastic/polyester zippers in a color to compliment your chosen fabrics. We’ll bring a rainbow of colors (see photo right). Cost $1.00 per zipper. Or, buy a complete set of zippers (36 colors in all) for $31.50.
- Assorted cotton fabrics, fat quarters, fat eighths, 2 1/2” strips, 1 ½” strips, 5” charm squares…. Pretty much anything goes! You’ll want to have a few larger pieces (example: 2 fat quarters), for lining the little bags. Otherwise, we can make most any “scrap pile” work. Bring pairs of fat quarters that complement each other nicely, or your scrap bag of remnants from a finished project. You don’t need a lot of fabric to make each bag, but once you get started you won’t want to quit!
- Optional: bring funky buttons, coordinating ric-rack or trim. Also, if you’d like to bring any special items (i-Pod, Bible or paperback book, address book/day planner, sunglasses, etc.) bring it along and we’ll make a custom bag or case.
- Standard quilting supplies: rotary cutter, all-purpose acrylic ruler, cutting mat. No special tools or rulers are necessary.
- Thread: regular cotton thread is okay. But, it’s a little better to use Aurifil 28 weight (a heavier weight thread) because it is thicker/stronger. We’ll bring a variety of spools in neutral colors.
~ These are great patterns, the technique is fun, and it’s a great way to use up scraps or fabrics from your stash. We look forward to another fun day together!
Laura, Wesley, and the staff at Dakota Cabin Quilts