Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quiltsmart Cell Phone Bag

I went into my sewing room with the goal of cleaning up the mess.

A couple of hours later, I left with three (yes, THREE) finished cell phone bags. 

The place was still a mess… but I had three finished projects!

To start:

One package of Quiltsmart, pre-printed fusible interfacing (found here). 

Includes (3) pre-printed interfacing panels, fusible velcro for 3 bags, and three cords (my package had two brown cords and one red, but I’m not sure if they are all the same).  Current Price: $14.95.

cellphonebag

This project is so fun and easy, you won’t believe it.

Interfacing panels look like this.  

qsb1 

Rough-cut a single unit.

qsb2

Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of desired fabric, cut approximately 6” x width of fabric.

qsb3

Trim on the dotted lines.

qsb4

Fuse the velcro into position (clearly marked on interfacing).  Not sure I’m crazy about this fusible velcro… I worry it will come loose.

qsb5

Stitch cording into position (clearly marked on interfacing).

qsb7

Fold the project as instructed.  There’s sort of a triple fold technique, to create the flap, and two pockets.

qsb6

When correctly folded, the bag looks like this.  Stitch on solid lines as clearly marked, leaving a hole to turn right side out. The interfacing is marked with words like “START”, “STOP”, “LEAVE OPEN TO TURN”.

qsb8

 

Then carefully turn the bag right-side out, and gently press.  Top Stitch.  Stitch a decorative button on the flap.

Ta-Da!

qsb9

Two pockets, one for cards or a key, the other for the phone.  Doesn’t look too bulky, or overstuffed with phone inside.

qsb10 qsb11

More fabric scraps.  A little more time.  Two more finished bags.

qsb12

Flap can have rounded, or squared off corners.  Bag on the left is my favorite.  My two nieces will love these. I’d like to find a different button for the bag on the right.  I think it needs more contrast.  Maybe purple?

qsb13 qsb14

Hooray!  I love these!

In celebration of this fun project, two Cabin Award winners next week will receive one packet of Quiltsmart,  and three scraps of fabric from my stash for their bags. 

Award value: $14.95 plus some really great fabric!

10 comments:

  1. The bags are adorable! I love the fabric - especially the brown one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! With my MIL over the holidays she couldn't find her cell phone in her purse. I wonder if she ties the strap to her purse handle if she could then "reel" the phone ( in holder) out of her bag. Hhmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the buttons! They add to the whimsical look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those CUTE cell phone bags, and your step-by-step instructions make it look do-able.
    Thank you!
    leannlafave@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used the fusible velcro several times and have had nothing but good results. Some pieces were used for bags and are holding up well. Some for costumes for our Christmas Pageant where men and boys ripped it open at the back neckline every time - still held, even on slippery fabric! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making those oh so cute bags was much better than cleaning your sewing room! :~D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made dozens of those cell phone cases, but never thought of adding the buttons. If you know how many buttons I keep buying and not using,now I have a use for them. Also the fusible interfacing panels can be bought on the bolt. My local quilt store has them. I think the panel is around $5.00.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute, and I need to make myself one before our next cruise. They would be so convenient to hold our sale and sign cards as I don't like to wag a big purse around on the boat.
    I can't believe how cold it is there. We took our grands to see Yogi Bear. It was really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank-you very much for these directions. I bought the pattern but didn't understand them. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are gorgeous, thank you so much for sharing! Feel free to share on our Facebook page as well if you'd like. I'm sure the other Quiltsmarties would love to see them :) -Mandy with Quiltsmart

    ReplyDelete