Sunday, June 6, 2010

Zippy Strippy, Cash & Carry, & Pockets to Go!

zippystrippypattern pocketstogo

As mentioned in a previous post, I’ve dived into Terry Atkinson’s  “Snip, Zip, & Go” headfirst… and I’m not sure when I’ll come up for air!

At the end of the previous post, I wrote, “I hope you have as much fun with this as I do…. I’m currently waiting for Wesley to come home from the shop with a complete zipper assortment for me to work with… I’ve got some sewing to do!”

He arrived, bag of zippers in hand… And then,

Wow!  I might need an intervention.  As I worked on one, I couldn’t wait to start the next.

Please note: in my excitement, I forgot to read the “Zippy Strippy” pattern instructions.  Hard to believe, I know :)

Laurie-Ann gently pointed out that the larger bags are supposed to include a little pleat at the bottom, so that they “stand-up”.  (See Terry’s pattern photo above… her bags angle in a little and have a bottom, and mine don’t).  I can still add that if desired… or I can just make more bags!

First I made a couple of smaller “Cash ‘n’ Carry” wallets, using scraps from a Fig Tree quilt I’m working on.  Lower pouch has a pocket, perfect for credit card or hotel room key card.

akblog6

 

Then, the longer “Cash ‘n’ Carry” (perfect sized pouch for sunglasses or sewing supplies):

akblog5Then, an assortment of all three sizes of “Zippy Strippy”:

akblog3 

The pattern calls for scraps of 2.5” width… perfect for leftover jelly roll strips, or charm squares also work for the smallest size. But, I  found Honey Bun strips (1.5”) worked well (top bag), or just fabric remnants (middle bag body is not scrappy).

These were made from an “Eva” charm pack, and scrap yardage. I think they need some decorative buttons.

akblog4

Then, I made a pair for the Hospice of the Hills silent auction (used both patterns).  The ric-rac was a fun touch:

akblog7

Then, I made this set for my briefcase.  Large bag for power cords & plug-ins.  Smaller bag to hold my i-Pod. Used left-over honey-bun strips and added inner pockets to the pouch, to hold earphones & cord.

 akblog8b

akblog10 akblog9

Finally, I tried the third pattern, “Pockets to Go”.  Cube organizer shown here, and I’m nearly done with a coordinating  “Long” organizer.  I’ll add photos when able.

akblog1

 akblog2

Although more work is involved in making the organizer than the little bags, every pattern is exceptionally well designed and written, making the process fun & easy.

For patterns and supplies, click here.

3 comments:

  1. I love making bags, too. So many uses and so little time - what a sense of accomplishment. Only 2 bags I've made required zippers and it wasn't so hard - ready to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I saw them at the Rapid City Quilt Show. I had so much fun shopping in your booth! Much better in person. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any way I can order the patterns online? I want to make them this week but dont have time to wait for them to arrive via US Mail.

    ReplyDelete