Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Winter Wonderland

hoarfrost2

Good morning, and Happy New Year!


As we step into 2010, we'd like to thank each and every one of you for your friendship and loyal support of our business. We look forward to a new year packed with excitement, creativity, accomplishment, and lots and lots of finished projects!


hoarfrost1

It's been a chilly week here in the Dakotas, and snowbanks cover the landscape like mounds of fluffy frosting. On Tuesday morning, we woke to a stunning hoar frost, and I spent a couple of minutes driving around town on my way to work, capturing the beautiful scene. The town was magical... the buildings were ice palaces, surrounded by ice sculptures and frosty trees.


We've been spending most of our time indoors, as the cold temperatures and wind chills prevent much outdoor activity. Sometimes we're productive, getting lots accomplished. Sometimes, we're lazy, relaxed and enjoy the quiet.
Yesterday, we kept busy all morning... went to town for errands and groceries, took Sox for a run on the way home, and made ham and bean soup. By early afternoon, I had snuggled up next to the fireplace with my favorite Christmas present, a "Nook" e-reader from Barnes & Noble. Although I do miss the feeling of "reading a read book", the design and convenience of the gadget are amazingly wonderful. Nook allows you to shop at the B&N website, then download either a free sample or buy the entire book. It is wireless. I love my Nook!

A few minutes after I sat down, Matthew climbed into the snuggler chair with me, book in hand.


He asked, "Can I snuggle up, too?".

I lifted the edge of my favorite chenille backed patchwork throw, and he made himself comfortable. He read a Magic Tree House chapter book, occasionally stopping to ask me what a word meant, or to excitedly share a detail from his story. I read my Nook, immersed in a great mystery. Two cats perched on the back of the chair, the third in my lap. Sox sat with his head on the chair arm, looking up at us with his warm brown eyes, happy to have his ears scratched now and then. I heard the cats purring, Sox wagging his tail against the carpet, and Matthew intermittently turning his pages. A comfortable melody of relaxation, contentment, and peace.


It was one of those joyful times in life I wish I could capture forever. For those few hours, everything was right with my world. Such a good way to start off the new year. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment