Saturday, March 15, 2014

Chateau Rouge Candy Dish Quilt

As promised, I’m continuing on my journey using the 2 1/2” Moda candy squares to make some fun little projects.

I used the same pattern booklet for this one as I did for Marmalade Starburst.

The Chateau Rouge Candy Dish Quilt kit, fabrics by French General for Moda:

cd1

I started by laying out the candy squares, sorting by color & value.

cd3

Then, I played with fabric placement for the candy dishes, til I was happy with the arrangement.  I wanted the fabrics to “melt” together into a pleasing checkerboard.

Then, I used fusible web to make the little handles.  I wanted to do hand applique, but I couldn’t find my mini iron Eye rolling smile.  By the time Wesley found one for me (in the basement, of  all places, after I already had my pieces traced & fused!).

If you want to learn how to do these by hand, check out this past blog post, here.

The handles are fused into place, a little offset on the background rectangles.  I thought 1.5”  from one end looked about right. For machine applique, be sure to use a test piece to be sure you like your stitching before you start stitching.

These were really fun blocks to piece:

The two blocks are set on point, and if I followed the pattern exactly,  the quilt would have been done at this point.  But, I thought it looked unfinished… just begging for a border!

cd13

And, what better way to add a border, than to use a border stripe?  I fussy cut border segments, and carefully aligned my ruler 1/4” from the chosen edge.

cd14

First, I tried the filigree stripe around the full perimeter:

cd15

Then, I noticed the scraps of medallion stripes.  Hmmm..

cd16

I liked that.

I added the filigree to the sides, carefully stitching just one thread inside the stripe, so that it was in perfect alignment.

After I added the side borders, the medallion stripe was just a  little too wide…

cd19

So, I carefully folded it the medallion stripe in half, and altered it just a little bit to pull the ends in (I used a basting stitch and adjusted the seam allowance ‘til I was happy with the fit).

cd20

The final result:

cd23

cd21

cd24

I was left with a little pile of scraps.  And, I was seriously loving working with these beautiful fabrics. I combined my scraps with some other  French General prints from my stash, and look what I made for you!  See the post below…

cd25

Happy Quilting!

~ Laura