Friday, March 7, 2014

Moda Candy: Oh So Sweet!

As a little break from my Spring Sprouts project, I decided to make a simple quilt using the Moda candy squares (2.5" mini charms).  

I must confess...  I am enamored with these candy squares!  They are so little, but so sweet.  Each packet is about the size of a chocolate truffle... mmmm!




 
I love these candy squares so much, I have a "plate" of them in my sewing room!  




So... I've thinking about stitching a series of small quilts with these candy squares.  and, "Ta Da"... one done, more to come!

I used the Starburst pattern (page 13) by Fig Tree in the Moda Candy pattern booklet (First Edition).  Find pattern booklet & in-stock mini charms here.




Kit available on our website: find it here.  


Marmalade mini quilt kit...  feather grey background, aqua binding, sunny yellow backing. 



Such cheerful prints!
Pick your 5 favorites....
Then, add more... Use your design wall to assist with fabric placement


These are the only squares I had left over!

Make a 5 x 5 checkerboard.  Use pins to mark your rows.


5 x 5 checkerboard


I improvised here... the pattern instructions assemble the full quilt as a checkerboard...
 but I refused to sew a bunch of grey solid 2.5" squares together....


Ta-Da!  Done.
Finished size 22" x 22"  I'll post another pic once it's quilted and bound.


And, the best part... I pieced this delightful little table topper in 2.5 hours. That included at least 30 minutes to "unsew" when I measured wrong. I was so busy admiring the pretty fabrics that I didn't pay much attention to the math.

Kit sells for $25.50 (including pattern booklet, candy squares, binding and backing.  Find it here.

You can feed your fabric addiction,  guilt-free!

If you decide to order this kit, please enter a comment at the bottom of the online order form that you read about it on my blog... and l'll include a couple of delicious Lindor Truffles along your kit...

~ Happy quilting!  Laura