Friday, March 28, 2014

A Perfect Spring Quilt on a Perfect Spring Day

 

After Kari & I finished our blog entry last Saturday, I spent the rest of the day sewing in the sunshine. After our long Dakota winter, I couldn’t have been happier to open the window, let the fresh air in, and spend a peaceful day in my  sewing room with my furry friends…

I started by squaring up my applique blocks to a perfect 8.5”

ss50

ss48

The Over the Rainbow batiks are all so pretty… it was fun to sort the charm squares and arrange in pairs.  There were quite a few extra charms, so I set the browns aside.  No brown stars for me!

ss45

Then, I chose my four favorite charm squares, and started on the star blocks.  I didn’t realize (‘til I read the pattern Surprised smile) that there are actually very few flying geese in this quilt.  You make two flying geese for the corner stars, one flying goose for the stars around the outside. The remaining star points are created by adding contrasting stitch and flip corners to the sashing rectangles.

 

These awesome little clover clips kept me organized:

A header scrap helps piece the flying geese perfectly.  That way, the sewing machine is ready to “’grab” the little corners and stitch through them perfectly (rather than chewing them up and pushing them into the stitch plate.

ss43

Do your cats help you sew?  Mine do.  Especially when the window is open and the sun is shining Cat face

ss51

ss59

It was so satisfying to see the stars come together with the applique blocks.

 

My favorite star is the bright orange one… it reminds me of my kid, who loves to wear the brightest orange you can imagine!

On a perfect spring day, with the sun shining, the birds singing, and the cats purring,  I finished the perfect spring quilt top (not saying my piecing is perfect… it’s not.)  But, I love this quilt, and it’s perfect in my mind, crooked seams and all!

springsproutstopdonecu

springsproutstopdone

I chose a bright orange Hoffman batik for the backing.  The blue will be the binding.

ss58

I ended up with a pretty decent little scrap pile of colorful batiks.  Note, the wonder clips, again.  I’m torn between making more tuffets, or a colorful little mini quilt with my scraps.  Hmmm… decisions, decisions… Winking smile

ss57

Another shipment of Spring Sprouts kits are on their way from Moda.  Most of them are pre-sold, but we do have just a few left (at the time I post this blog).  If you’re waiting on your kit, expect shipment from ND on 3/31 or 4/1. 

Items mentioned in this blog:

Leave me a comment, and let me know what your favorite quilting notion, tool or gadget is, and I’ll choose one lucky winner next week to receive a 10 pack of the Red Wonder clips…

Happy Quilting ~ Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment